Hexion Earns 2021 ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year Award for Comprehensive Energy Management Program
Company recognized for projects that have drastically reduced energy use and waste
COLUMBUS, Ohio - April 13, 2021 - Hexion Inc., a leading producer of adhesives, coatings and composite resins, is proud to announce it has received its first ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year award, one of the highest honors bestowed by the United States Environmental Protection Agency’s ENERGY STAR program.
Hexion was recognized for numerous successes in waste reduction and energy efficiency throughout the company since 2014. In that time, Hexion has reduced global energy intensity by 28 percent, executed more than 250 sustainability projects, and produced water and energy savings of approximately $14 million, including $2 million in 2020 alone.
“Executing on our commitment to responsible chemistry and operational practices to address the significant global environmental challenges of climate change and resource scarcity is at the core of who we are as a company,” said Craig Rogerson, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer. “This award is the highest recognition yet of our results to drive energy conservation and resource management through a world-class energy management program and partnership with the U.S. EPA.”
“ENERGY STAR award-winning partners are showing the world that delivering real climate solutions makes good business sense and promotes job growth,” said EPA Administrator Michael S. Regan. “Many of them have been doing it for years, inspiring all of us who are committed to tackling the climate crisis and leading the way to a clean energy economy.”
Each year, the ENERGY STAR program honors a group of businesses and organizations that have made outstanding contributions to protecting the environment through superior energy achievements. ENERGY STAR Award Winners lead their industries in the production, sale, and adoption of energy-efficient products, services, and strategies. These efforts are essential to fighting the climate crisis and protecting public health.
In addition, Hexion recently introduced updated sustainability goals for 2020 and beyond. As an initial step, the Company completed an updated materiality assessment where it engaged with various internal and external stakeholders. From that assessment, the Company determined its most important areas of focus. While not limiting its sustainability efforts to these focus areas alone, these topics drove bold goal discussions and included:
• Minimizing climate change impact - Hexion will strive to protect against climate change throughout its business lifecycle by efficiently using natural resources, optimizing existing processes and enhancing products and technologies through continuous innovation.
• Developing innovative sustainable products - Hexion is committed that by 2030, all new products will incorporate sustainable attributes.
• Enhancing worker safety/well-being - By 2022, Hexion will offer a voluntary well-being program that addresses associate physical, mental, and financial well-being with the goal of 50% associate participation in the program by 2025. Hexion also re-affirmed its commitment to continue to drive toward zero recordable injuries.
• Reducing spills and releases - Hexion has committed to reduce spill mass and releases by 80 percent by 2025.
• Maintaining product stewardship - Hexion remains committed to implementing the Responsible Care Product Safety Code and will continue to be transparent and communicate to key stakeholders regarding its stewardship programs such as risk reviews and reduction of substances of concern.
Hexion also recently released its 2020 Sustainability Report, which details the Company’s current progress against these goals. The report can be viewed at www.hexion.com/company/responsibility/sustainability.
Hexion will receive the ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Award and be recognized by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy at a virtual ceremony in Washington, D.C., on April 16, 2021.
About the Company
Based in Columbus, Ohio, Hexion Inc. is a global leader in thermoset resins. Hexion Inc. serves the global adhesive, coatings, composites and industrial markets through a broad range of thermoset technologies, specialty products and technical support for customers in a diverse range of applications and industries. Additional information about Hexion Inc., its products and sustainability is available at www.hexion.com.
About ENERGY STAR®
ENERGY STAR® is the government-backed symbol for energy efficiency, providing simple, credible, and unbiased information that consumers and businesses rely on to make well-informed decisions. Thousands of industrial, commercial, utility, state, and local organizations—including about 40% of the Fortune 500®—partner with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to deliver cost-saving energy efficiency solutions that improve air quality and protect the climate. Since 1992, ENERGY STAR and its partners helped American families and businesses save more than 4 trillion kilowatt-hours of electricity and achieve over 3.5 billion metric tons of greenhouse gas reductions, equivalent to the annual emissions of more than 750 million cars. More background information about ENERGY STAR can be found at https://www.energystar.gov/about.